Sunday, March 15, 2015

What I Have to Offer


Hello you lovely people.

I don't believe in making excuses. But towards the end of last quarter I was so mentally drained that I couldn't really do anything but the bare minimum. I was holding on by a thread, counting the hours until Spring Break.

It's very inconvenient how Spring Break always falls right in the middle of Lent. On one hand, we are all in desperate need of some time to just be lazy, and on the other we know that we should be focusing on being penitent and growing in prayer and love for God.

There's no compromise. All or nothing.

But I'm not here to talk about my vacation or whether or not I have been good or bad or whatever.
Earlier today I was reflecting on the past week (which has been a great time) and I started wondering if I could have done more. If I could have gotten up early to pray a rosary instead of sleeping in. If I could have been a little less crazy and a better example. It was really getting to me, actually.

All the possibilities and chances not taken.

Obviously it was too late. I was too late. I had failed.

Often I have to stop myself when I find myself thinking like this and say to myself "Wait. Who exactly have you failed? Who set all these expectations that were not met?"

God doesn't set goals for us. He doesn't say that if we do this or that we'll be rewarded. He doesn't require anything from us. He just wants us.

Over the past few days I've been lost in myself and my experiences, but still I can point out a handful of moments that shine like stars though the darkness of everything the world has to offer. Moments where I offered my heart to God.
Small, instantaneous, and undeniably beautiful.
This is all I have to offer this week, and I know it's not enough, but nothing will ever be enough.


Lent is about the journey, and for me that's 49% me stumbling around and 51% Jesus dragging me back up again.
Sometimes we fall flat on our faces. It just so happens that this is the most humble place you can be, lying at His feet.

He pulls me up, embraces me, and we keep going.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely reflection, girl. I really needed to hear some of those words.

    ReplyDelete