Sunday, February 22, 2015

Bring on the Suffering


We've made it guys!!! Finally, the first Sunday of Lent. (a.k.a. time for me to have chocolate and catch up on everything that's been going on in the internet). You'd be surprised what you can miss in less than a week.
Now that we've taken the first step, there's no going back. For me, it hasn't been that painful, which means I'm probably doing something wrong. Anyone can come up with an excuse for anything. I've been inching in, but it's time to jump in headfirst.

Something that I have done these past few days is fasting from music. I know, kind of weird. And considering that the only music I ever listen to is Christian music, there really isn't a need. It's not like I'm listening to all those horrible song lyric and letting them infiltrate my mind. Remember those Benedictine's album I mentioned? That's all I've been listening to. It's such a relief to plug in my headphones and immerse myself in the chanting as I work. And then Sunday comes around and I can enjoy my favorite Jesus Jams even more than I regularly would. The nun's songs are the constant simplicity that I have a feeling will carry me through this Lent.

I know it's lame to talk about the weather but it's the most interesting thing in my life right now. You see, down here in Texas if the temperature drops below 40 and it starts sprinkling, everything within a 100 mile radius shuts down. Completely. The grocery stores are wiped out and all flights are cancelled. I'm only slightly exaggerating. Slightly.
Which means, I don't have school tomorrow! A snow day without snow? We have a lot of those...

So for some encouragement and motivation as we face the first full week of Lent, I have some quotes/bible verses that I think are pretty great.



"As Lent is the time for greater love, listen to Jesus' thirst...'Repent and Believe" Jesus tells us. What are we to repent? Our indifference, our hardness of heart. What are we to believe? Jesus thirsts even now, in your heart and in the poor-- he knows your weakness, He wants only your love, wants only the chance to love you."
-Mother Teresa
 
"The most beautiful act of faith is the one made in darkness, in sacrifice, and with extreme effort."
-Padre Pio
 
"Be careful that your hearts do not become drowsy from the anxieties of this life, and that day catch you by surprise."
-I forgot to write down the verse number oops
 
 
I'm really looking forward to Easter. But even more than that, I'm looking forward to more suffering because more suffering means more love.
To choose all is to give all.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment