Wednesday, February 18, 2015

And to dust we shall return


So I was planning on writing a pre-Lenten reflection yesterday, but obviously that didn't happen.
AND NOW IT'S ASH WEDNESDAY CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW IT APPEARED SO QUICKLY?!?

I have to admit, Lent has always been really scary to me. Fasting, praying, it's all so pointless without love (which I didn't really have a lot of).
I didn't understand Lent. Lent is one of those things you have to understand in your heart. Even if you give up everything possible to give up without going crazy and you didn't do it out of love, it's completely pointless. It doesn't change you. It's a waste.

But if when you are tempted to break your Lenten fast or be lazy in your prayer life and instead you look up and say to God "no. I'm going to do this for You. You're more important." That's what Lent is all about.

I'm trying to keep this short and sweet because I wasn't really planning on blogging during Lent. Maybe on Sundays. I think that sounds like a good plan.


But before I go, I want to give you three little things that have already made the start to my Lent pretty great.

1) Lent at Ephesus- Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles.
This CD can be purchased for about $12 off iTunes, and it is definitely worth it. I've been listening to it (literally) non-stop all afternoon while I do my homework. Basically, these awesome contemplative nuns are so awesome that people wanted to make their music available to the public so that we could all know what it is like to be in their chapel. And it is soooooo beautiful!!!!
I mean, come on. Nuns + Lent= Awesome Lent



2) Stations of the Cross
At my old school on every Friday of Lent, we would get together and pray the Stations of the Cross in our beautiful church. In high school, however we don't have the time and space to do that.
So I came up with an alternative.
I cut out these tiny and beautiful pictures of each station and put them around my room. Now every Friday I can walk around my room and pray. And seeing them each day is a nice reminder of how much Christ suffered out of love for us and that now it's our turn to suffer for Him.



3) Veggie Tales!!!!!!!
I used to love Veggie Tales so much when I was a kid. I have fond memories of learning about the wall of Jericho and singing along to the song "I don't got no belly button".
In the society we're living in, most of the t.v. shows meant to be watched by teens are just about sarcasm, sex, and selfishness. It's horrible. I do have a few shows that I really enjoy watching that don't lay it on heavy, but this Lent I'm going to enjoy myself and watch some old Veggie Tales classics when I'm bored instead of any old show on Netflix.



And if you were wondering, the title of this post doesn't really have anything to do with what I just wrote. I just thought it sounded cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment