Monday, June 8, 2015

Jesus is my only friend



For anyone who didn't know, yesterday was the Feast of Corpus Christi where all us Catholics celebrate the fact that Jesus is TRULY AND ACTUALLY PHYSICALLY PRESENT IN THE EUCHARIST. Yep, that's right. It's awesome.

To celebrate, my parish had a vigil of adoration for the entire night, and I was lucky enough for the first hour with my youth group. That being said, my youth leader unfortunately didn't really advertise it much and I was one of the only ones there.



I was reminded of something St. Therese wrote in her autobiography Story of a Soul that has really stuck with me. She wrote:

"No one paid any attention to me, and I would go up to the choir of the chapel and remain before the Blessed Sacrament until the moment when Papa came to get me. This was my only consolation, for was not Jesus my only Friend? I knew how to speak to Him; conversations with creatures, even pious conversations, fatigued my soul. I felt it was far more valuable to speak to God than to speak about Him..."

That quote really spoke to me. I felt a connection to St. Therese, sitting there in the Church with not a lot of other youth around me.



I talked to Jesus a lot that night. There were a lot of things in my life that needed to be sorted out and talked through with Him, and I left with a much stronger sense of how my life is going. The next morning in mass I felt so much closer to Him too. I love spending time with Jesus. I just want to spend time with Him forever. Oh wait, that's heaven :)

Maybe I was exaggerating when I said Jesus is my only friend. But He's probably my best friend. I have other friends, and I do have someone who I consider to be my best friend. But at the end of the day, it's always going to come down to Him. He's forever and everything else is temporary.





No comments:

Post a Comment