Saturday, December 6, 2014

A Thought on Happiness

This is one of my favorite quotes of all time.

I don't know much about the Beatles, but I know enough to know that John Lennon understood that life isn't about things. It's about so much more.

Growing up, I wanted to be a teacher. That's what I told everyone. I even had an ingenuous plan with my best friend that we would come back to our elementary school and teach in rooms next to each other when we grew up.
One day, that all changed.

I've always been attracted to sisters. Going to Catholic school, I never really saw them, but I heard about them occasionally. Looking back, I see that that is where the seeds were planted. I may not have felt it strongly then, but my heart would leap at the mention of nuns, and I wouldn't be able to stop listening.

I didn't really mean for this post to be about my vocation journey, but it kind of has turned into that. One thing led to another, and now I know that I was made to be a sister. It's not a question about it a family and career will make me happy- Jesus took those desires away from me long ago. I want to be happy. I know that only fulfilling God's plan for me will make me happy. And I know that that entails giving up everything the world holds dear.

Now when people ask me what I want to be when I grow up, I tell them that I don't know. I'm not that open about my vocation- actually, only one of my good friends knows. I tell myself I'm waiting for the right time and place, when I'm older, more independent, and can have a spiritual director and start visiting orders. But what if that day never comes? I'm so good at putting things off, but as St. Catherine of Siena said, "to the servant of God, every place is the right place and every time is the right time." This is something I'm working on, and I hope that this blog helps me.

But for now, I just tell people I want to be happy.
Sometimes they don't understand, but that's okay.

Love,
A Catholic Teen

No comments:

Post a Comment